Friday, March 17, 2017

5 Steps Out of Darkness


Three weeks ago on February 23rd, I was attending the Preaching Teaching Convention at Ozark Christian College and was living life at an all-time high. With boldness, God empowered my friends and I to have some deep conversations, was humbled to meet with Darrin King for coffee and talk about church planting movements and was honored to encourage Zach King as he pursues Jesus as King. As I left that day, I realized that I was coming down with the flue. As I left that day, I told my parents, “It doesn’t surprise me that I am coming down with something. Often times when we reach the mountaintop of thankfulness, we soon descend into another valley. Thankful that God gets us through.”

The valley that I entered into that day took me two weeks to get through and prevailed through my birthday on March 1st and continued through my birthday lunch on the March 3rd. I was only sick five days, but the depression lasted about two weeks. My Mom gave me a prescription. She said, “Ryan, you need to get out doors.” So, I went on a long walk the next day. What came out my journey through the darkness was the realization that I have been struggling with cycles of mild depression for quite a while. If you thought I did not struggle, guess again. Also, God worked to give me five steps to take that I believe can be helpful to anyone.

Step 1: Get Out of Isolation

Thanking my Mom for this one. She told me to get out and I did. Go and do something fun. Not only are you looking to just get out of the house, but you are also looking to get out and be with people. God created us in His image (Genesis 1), but when we are isolated we look a little less like the way God made us than when we are together. Grateful for Jeremiah Holcomb reaching out to me and inviting me to watch that game. I might not have felt like going, but I sure needed to go. We need to grow in community just like the early church in Acts 2.

Step 2: Look for a Pattern

If you are like me, your cycles with depression might be predictable. There will be certain things that trigger depression. When or if you find that pattern, take careful note of it. For me, I began noticing that my depression would often be triggered sometime around when I was asked to preach on Sunday mornings. If you are single, it might also be triggered by failed attempts at finding a girlfriend. Regardless, we need to be aware of what is likely to trigger depressive episodes.

Step 3: Build a Prayer Team

While I was at the Preaching Teaching Convention, I began building a prayer team. I told friends and mentors that I had been struggling with lots of ups and downs in my life and needed prayers. My specific ask was this, “Do you mind if I text you the week that I am getting ready to preach and ask you to pray.” We are fighting a spiritual battle and no battle is fought single-handedly. It must be fought together with the church.

Step 4: Give Thanks in Everything

Have you read the book of Philippians recently? This book has been super helpful, because of the number of times Paul talks about doing everything with joy and thanksgiving. You may not feel joyful, but it is necessary to find reasons to give thanks to God even if you do not feel like it. Read Psalm 13. Most of the song is dark and depressing. However, the psalmist ends with these words, “But I will trust in your unfailing love; my heart rejoices in your salvation. I will sing to the Lord for He has been good to me.” Count your blessings. Write them down in order to keep your mind on task.

Step 5: Ask for Help

Due to the repetitive nature of my struggle and the advice of a mentor, I am seeking the counsel of a mentor who has more experience with this kind of thing. If I need to get some professional counseling, I will do it. We must not be ashamed to ask for help.


In the meantime, my prayer is that God will use my struggles to for His glory. In Philippians 1 Paul talks about being imprisoned. However, God used his imprisonment to restore relationships with Himself. The entire palace guard knew that Paul was imprisoned because of Jesus. If you feel imprisoned by the walls of your mind, perhaps your imprisonment is an attempt of the devil to make you feel isolated. And maybe our imprisonment is because we have begun to reach out and share the good news. Either way, God can use our weakness for His glory. Know this, Jesus claims you as his own. All that is required is that you believe (John 3:16). Sometimes, we just have to worship. That is why I have recorded this video. After watching it, take the time to reflect on Psalm 8 and re-write it in your own words. 

2 comments: