Tuesday, August 4, 2015

Pitfalls of Pursuing a Holy Life

All too often, it seems as if I question the authenticity of the life that I live. Why is it that my desire to be perfect washes over me like a flood, yet the battle still rages to live a holy life? This past month I read a powerful book entitled The Pursuit of Holiness by Jerry Bridges. If you have been struggling to live a holy life, you may find this book helpful.

According to Bridges, there are three problems that rear their ugly heads in our pursuit of holiness. First, "our attitude toward sin is more self-centered than God centered. We are more concerned about our own "victory" over sin than we are about the fact that our sins grieve the heart of God" (p. 16). When I read these words, I was immediately convicted. The God that we serve is a holy God whose hatred of sin of any sort is beyond what our human brains can comprehend. Yes, the same God that we serve in the New Testament is the same God who commanded parents to have their rebellious son stoned to death by the elders at the city gate (Deut. 21:18-21). He is also the same God who commanded His people to kill both parties when adultery is committed (Deut. 22:22). Oh how often it seems that I sin simply because I choose to ignore that God took his wrath out upon Jesus for a reason. We would not be able to even stand in the presence of God if it were not for the blood of Jesus. Furthermore, am I balking at the new life Jesus has given if I refuse to pursue holiness?

Second, "we have misunderstood "living by faith" (Galatians 2:20) to mean that no effort at holiness is required on our part" (p. 17) There have been times in my life when I have struggled with this problem. However, one has to go no further than the words of Jesus to find that God is still troubled by sin. In the Sermon the Mount, Jesus has this knack for taking everything one step further, even down to the root of the problem. Concerning lust he says, "But I say to you that everyone who looks at a woman with lustful intent has already committed adultery with her in his heart." Concerning promises he says, "Let what you say be simply 'Yes' or 'No'; anything more than this comes from evil." And concerning anger he says, "[E]veryone who is angry with his brother will be liable to judgement..." (Matthew 5, ESV). When I read the New Testament, I do not see a God who has insisted on faith instead of works. Rather, I see a God who embraces both faith and works. After all in Colossians 2:10 it says that we were "created in Christ Jesus for good works, which God prepared beforehand, that we should walk in them."

Third, "we do not take some sin seriously. We have mentally categorized sins into that which is unacceptable and that which may be tolerated a bit" (p. 18). It is easy to categorize sexual immorality as disgusting, but it is not so easy to see breaking your promises as disgusting in God's sight.

I was just sitting here talking with my Grandma about these three obstacles in our pursuit of holiness. We came to the conclusion, that each of us will struggle with different aspects of these obstacles. I personally struggle more with having a self-centered approach in my pursuit of holiness. On the other hand, my Grandma says she struggles more with mentally categorizing which sins are acceptable and unacceptable. What obstacle do you struggle with the most? How might that obstacle be overcome?

No comments:

Post a Comment